I am 100% honest when I say that I don’t miss chicken at all. Heck, I can’t even remember what it tastes like. I do, however, miss the idea of chick-mayo-sarmies. Two wholesome slices of goodness stuffed with loads of tangy mayonnaise filling, and extra avocado that oozes out from the sides with every bite. Well, what I have learned from a vegan lifestyle by now is that when you miss a dish, you simply recreate it with substitution ingredients. I found this recipe while scrolling down Pinterest and slightly modified it to suit my needs. The filling makes two big sandwiches, but you can easily stretch it to three. If you desire the richer, cheesier, unhealthier version, simply swap the lettuce with a slice of vegan cheese and pop your sarmie in the toaster.
Vegan Chick (Pea) Mayo Toasties
- 1x can chickpeas, drained
- 3x stalks of celery, finely chopped
- ½ avocado
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of vegan mayonnaise (I use B-Well canola Mayonaise)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- 1 – 2 Lettuce leaves
- 1 – 2 slices of bread (I use Sasko Plus RoseShip & Honeybush brown bread. It taste delicious and is also the lowest in energy per serving compared to other breads).
- Fresh garnish (herbs / carrot julienne / sprouts)
Mash up the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher until you reach a chunky consistency
Add the chopped celery, mayonnaise, lemon juice, avocado and mix.
Season with salt and pepper according to taste
Toast your slice(s) of bread
Once toasted, lay down your lettuce and spread your filling over the leaves
Close your sarmie with another slice of toasted bread or garnish and enjoy an open-sarmie like me!
Notes: You can also add slices tomato, gherkins and cucumber to bulk up the filing! Photo credit: Human & Rousseau/Myburgh du Plessis