An easy way to include one (or two) of the three portions of beans we should consume daily, is to dish up a dollop of oil-free hummus! I whip up this recipe at least once a week and eat 1/2 cup almost every day. Hummus is great on salads, steamed veggies, corn crackers, in wraps, as part of Buddha bowl or on warm, crispy toast. Due to the beans, it is high in protein and fibre, and because I add a dash of turmeric, it is also a great anti-inflammatory.
Healthy, Oil-free Hummus
Donovan and I make a fresh batch of hummus at least once a week, and eat it almost daily! Spead it on your toast, top in onto your vegetables or salad, spear it in a wrap or eat it as part of your Buddha bowl.
- 1 can chickpeas, drained (I find that the different brands taste differently and KOO's is best)
- 2 heaped tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 crushed garlic clove or 3/4 preserved garlic
- 50 ml water (use more if the consistency is too chunky for you)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Prepare all your ingredients.
Blend it all together in a food processor or with a hand blender.
Add flavour to your hummus by adding avocado, pepperdews, or roasted beetroot, red peppers or carrots!